Can you believe it’s already September? The #clcdiyfest is over and we are going through withdrawals. Need some sweets to drown your sorrows in? Try these Salted Caramel Bars! They are sure to do the trick.
Salted Caramel is a new flavor that’s been trending over the last few years. The overly sweet taste of caramel is balanced out with the savory salt. This sweet and salty trend has been riding high and doesn’t seem to be going anywhere anytime soon. This recipe is a soft, chewy caramel bar that will leave you wanting more.
Salted Caramel Bars Recipe
2 (14 ounces) cans sweetened condensed milk
1 cup brown sugar
¾ cup unsalted butter
¼ cup corn syrup
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 (18 ounces) box yellow cake mix
½ cup unsalted butter (melted)
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 teaspoon sea salt
Extra salt for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare and grease an 8 ½” by 11” pan.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine box yellow cake mix, ½ cup unsalted butter (melted), 1 egg, 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, and 2 teaspoon salt. Stir together with a wooden spoon until completely combined.
- Set aside ¾ cup of the box cake mixture.
- Press the rest of the box cake mixture to the bottom of the prepared pan. Set aside.
- Combine all ingredients for caramel in a saucepan over medium heat. Be careful not to turn the heat up too high, or the caramel will stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Bring caramel sauce to a boil and allow to boil for 5 minutes.
- Pour caramel into prepared pan over box cake mixture.
- Crumb the remaining ¾ cup box cake mixture over top of the caramel.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- When you take it out of the oven, it will be bubbling. Sprinkle a little more sea salt on there.
- Allow the pan to cool completely and place in the fridge to harden. It will need to refrigerate for about 2 hours.
- Cut and serve!
Word to the wise: These bars are gooey and sticky. When they are not being consumed, keep them in the fridge, or to avoid any mess, just eat them all in one sitting.