Artisan Scholarship and Mentor Program
About the Program
The DIY Festival nourishes individual artisans, creatives, and small business owners in Utah by promoting DIY culture and providing them with opportunities to attract new customers, promote their work to new audiences, and grow their sales. Craft Lake City wants to ensure that these opportunities are available to all Utah communities.
In support of this goal, Craft Lake City has designed the Artisan Scholarship and Mentor Program to benefit five first-time DIY Fest exhibitors in the artisan, vintage, and craft food categories. The program includes business training, networking opportunities, waived booth fees, and one-on-one mentorship before, during and after the DIY Fest.
Mentorship is provided by seasoned makers with a history of participation in the Annual Craft Lake City DIY Fest. Artisan Mentors are each paired up with an Artisan Scholar to assist them as they build their skills and develop their creative business endeavors. Artisan Mentors act as a bridge between Craft Lake City and first-time Artisan Scholars, providing critical knowledge and experience that helps prepare recipients to exhibit at the DIY Fest.
Craft Lake City also facilitates business training for Artisan Scholarship and Mentor Program participants. Artisan Mentors share their experiences by teaching basic entrepreneurial skills to scholarship recipients, including subjects such as:
- Booth Display: Discussing booth design and merchandising concepts, and offering ideas about how to best present their products.
- Sales & Lead Generation: Providing guidance about strong customer service, effective sales pitches, and tactics for gathering potential customer information at the DIY Fest (and following up on leads post-festival).
- Promotion: Presenting options for self-promotion at the DIY Fest, such as flyers or business cards with branded contact information, social media links, etc.
- Money Management: Presenting basic principles and techniques for budgeting, tracking expenses, processing taxes, etc.
Mentors also provide logistical and emotional support to their designated exhibitors before, during and after the DIY Fest. Artisan Mentors’ booths are placed near their Artisan Scholars at the DIY Fest so they can easily help provide support during load-in and throughout the event. After the DIY Fest, Craft Lake City hosts a group celebration and feedback session where Mentors and Scholars share their successes and discuss their experiences.
Applications are now CLOSED. Scholarship recipients & DIY Fest exhibitors will be announced on May 2, 2022!
If you are interested in becoming a future Artisan Mentor, contact us at (801) 906-8521 or email@example.com!
Qualifications for the Artisan Scholarship and Mentor Program
- Candidates must be juried into the DIY Fest as an individual 2-day or 3-day exhibitor based on the quality of their work
- Selected scholarship recipients must commit to being an active and engaged participant in all associated programs, trainings and requirements to prepare to exhibit at the 14th Annual Craft Lake City DIY Festival Presented By Harmons. If a selected Artisan Scholar does not participated in all program events and complete program requirements, they will not be permitted to participate in the DIY Fest.
- Candidates must have a total household income that falls below the 50% area median income bracket for their county of residence. Please consult the table below for qualification info:
|UT||BEAVER COUNTY||NON METRO AREA||$27,610|
|UT||BOX ELDER COUNTY||Ogden-Clearfield, UT||$31,116|
|UT||CACHE COUNTY||Logan, UT-ID||$29,519|
|UT||CARBON COUNTY||NON METRO AREA||$25,579|
|UT||DAGGETT COUNTY||NON METRO AREA||$37,308|
|UT||DAVIS COUNTY||Ogden-Clearfield, UT||$41,655|
|UT||DUCHESNE COUNTY||NON METRO AREA||$31,612|
|UT||EMERY COUNTY||NON METRO AREA||$27,777|
|UT||GARFIELD COUNTY||NON METRO AREA||$27,283|
|UT||GRAND COUNTY||NON METRO AREA||$25,779|
|UT||IRON COUNTY||NON METRO AREA||$25,904|
|UT||JUAB COUNTY||Provo-Orem, UT||$30,732|
|UT||KANE COUNTY||NON METRO AREA||$23,522|
|UT||MILLARD COUNTY||NON METRO AREA||$31,121|
|UT||MORGAN COUNTY||Ogden-Clearfield, UT||$45,671|
|UT||PIUTE COUNTY||NON METRO AREA||$21,407|
|UT||RICH COUNTY||NON METRO AREA||$28,951|
|UT||SALT LAKE COUNTY||Salt Lake City, UT||$37,433|
|UT||SAN JUAN COUNTY||NON METRO AREA||$22,697|
|UT||SANPETE COUNTY||NON METRO AREA||$26,919|
|UT||SEVIER COUNTY||NON METRO AREA||$27,400|
|UT||SUMMIT COUNTY||NON METRO AREA||$51,479|
|UT||TOOELE COUNTY||Salt Lake City, UT||$37,281|
|UT||UINTAH COUNTY||NON METRO AREA||$32,632|
|UT||UTAH COUNTY||Provo-Orem, UT||$37,333|
|UT||WASATCH COUNTY||NON METRO AREA||$42,558|
|UT||WASHINGTON COUNTY||St. George, UT||$29,919|
|UT||WAYNE COUNTY||NON METRO AREA||$22,122|
|UT||WEBER COUNTY||NON METRO AREA||$32,622|