Why will the 12th Annual Craft Lake City DIY Festival Presented By Harmons be presented virtually?
- Craft Lake City is committed to the safety and success of our creative community. Rather than fully canceling due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Craft Lake City is taking this year’s festival virtual August 7-9, 2020. The Annual Craft Lake City DIY Festival typically sees large crowds that do not allow for effective social distancing. Therefore, taking the festival online is the best way to proceed that will not only ensure that safety remains a high priority, but also allows for our creative community to continue to grow and thrive during these challenging times.
When will the Virtual DIY Festival take place?
- August 7, 8 and 9, 2020. Specific times to be announced soon!
What will the Virtual DIY Festival look like?
- In the coming weeks, Craft Lake City will be redefining what participation in the festival looks like, as well as providing new opportunities for artisans, foodies, performers, DIY engineers and Kid Row artists to reach an online audience that expands beyond Utah’s state line.
How do we apply?
- Apply online at https://www.craftlakecity.com/apply
When are applications due?
- Applications for the 12th Annual Craft Lake City DIY Festival are due by 11:59pm on Monday, June 15.
What if I already submitted an application to the DIY Festival before it was announced as a virtual event?
- Artisans who have already submitted a participant or scholarship application will automatically be considered for the virtual DIY Festival this year.
Is there any application assistance for the virtual festival?
- Craft Lake City is hosting a virtual Application Assistance Day video chat on Tuesday June 2, 2020 @12pm. This video will be recorded and made available on our website after the event.
Who is eligible to participate?
- The Virtual 12th Annual Craft Lake City DIY Festival is open to makers, creators, foodies, performers, Kid Row Artisans and DIY engineers who currently reside and operate in the state of Utah. No dealers, agents or representatives are permitted. Because the purpose of the DIY Festival is to showcase local makers and artisans, preference will be given to applicants whose items are handmade in Utah by the applicant.
Do participants need to pay a fee to be part of the Virtual DIY Festival?
- Selected artisans will be required to pay a participation fee to take part in the Virtual 12th Annual Craft Lake City DIY Festival. The Craft Lake City team is currently determining our new fee structure for virtual festival participants, and we will provide all applicants with details about the fees prior to announcing selected participants. If the fees do not work for selected participants, the applicants may choose not to participate without penalty.
How can creatives best prepare for the Virtual DIY Festival?
- The Craft Lake City is working to determine details about the format of the virtual DIY Festival, as well as the best ways to support local creatives as they prepare to participate. We will be sharing details very soon, and if you have questions in the meantime, feel free to email email@example.com.
How will product sales and shipping work? Will makers sell and ship work through their own stores, or will that be handled by Craft Lake City?
- Craft Lake City will ask makers to sell and ship their work themselves in a timely manner and under the criteria set by Craft Lake City. Craft Lake City will not be taking any commission of sales.
Will there be live components?
- The in-person aspect of the festival environment is something that Craft Lake City sees as a critical part of the attendee experience. Craft Lake City is currently working on ways to make this possible for the Virtual 12th Annual Craft Lake City DIY Festival.
Will virtual attendees be able to interact with artisans?
- Interacting with artisans, scientists, performers and foodies is part of the magic of the DIY Festival. The Craft Lake City team is currently determining ways to provide an interactive element at the Virtual 12th Annual Craft Lake City DIY Festival.
Do you think this could lead to a platform where we can shop from participating artisans year round?
- Craft Lake City is pleased to already offer exhibitor profiles for all past festivals, where web visitors can browse through the participants and purchase from their shops. However, we believe that the Virtual 12th Annual Craft Lake City DIY Festival will provide innovative digital programming that may become a part of our general programming suite.
Will the scholarship and mentor programs still take place this year?
- Craft Lake City will still be providing financial scholarships to support eligible local makers who participate in the Virtual DIY Festival. Details regarding the mentorship program are to be determined, and will be shared very soon.
Will there be opportunities to volunteer?
- The Craft Lake City team is working to identify volunteer opportunities connected to the Virtual 12th Annual Craft Lake City DIY Festival. We also offer year-round volunteer opportunities, and you can learn more by emailing our Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How can the public best support Craft Lake City as an organization right now?
- Like many 501(c)3 nonprofit organizations, Craft Lake City has been impacted by the covid-19 pandemic. We are committed to presenting an incredible virtual DIY Festival, but this requires the community’s support to make it happen. Please consider becoming a Sustaining Member of the organization or making a one-time donation. Financial contributions help us accomplish goals related to our nonprofit mission—especially in these difficult times.
Other ways to support Craft Lake City include:
- Purchase one of our new online workshops and DIY kits!
- Ride our Greenbike
- Choose Craft Lake City as your Amazon Smiles charity
- Spread the news about our virtual festival and programs!
Thank you for your support!