Festival Food Info and FAQs
Thank you for participating in the 10th Annual Craft Lake City DIY Festival! Festival Food vendors are responsible for familiarizing themselves with and adhering to the rules and guidelines below.
General Festival Rules and Regulations
- Vendors are responsible for securing all licenses and permits (from the Health Department and otherwise) necessary to participate in the event.
- Vendors are responsible for filing sales taxes with the Utah State Tax Commission for the event.
- Festival credentials are non-transferable and may not be passed to others not working the Festival.
- Vendors may not sublease their booths or sell items unrelated to those in their festival applications.
- No alcoholic beverages may be brought in from outside the Plaza. Vendors violating this rule may be asked to leave by security.
- The DIY Festival is a smoke-free environment. Smoking is allowed only outside the festival.
- No vehicles are allowed on the Plaza other than pre-approved food trucks.
- No vehicles of any kind are allowed on the ice rink oval – this is a weight restricted area.
- Pets are not allowed on the Gallivan Plaza. Only service animals are allowed.
- Vendors must not move any Plaza furniture (chairs, tables, garbage cans, etc.) for any reason.
- No free stickers may be distributed. (Craft Lake City suggests putting stickers in paying customer’s bags.)
- No tape of any kind may be used on Plaza property (light poles, rails, etc.).
- The Gallivan Center prohibits glass on festival grounds for food and drink that will be consumed on site. This policy does not apply to items pre-packaged in glass bottles and jars to be taken away and consumed off-site–for example, jam, honey, bath and body products, etc.
- Vendors are responsible for recycling and removing trash generated at their booths or trucks. See the section Waste Management below for more information.
Coca-Cola® is Craft Lake City’s official beverage partner for the 10th Annual DIY Festival. As such, the following beverage policies apply:
- Festival food vendors may sell unique, handcrafted beverages that have been pre-approved by Craft Lake City and priced at $2.00 or more. If you plan to sell beverages, you must contact us at festival[at]craftlakecity.com to get prior approval.
- If you wish to sell soda, water, or other bottled drinks, you must purchase select beverages via Craft Lake City’s Coca-Cola representative for re-sale at the Festival. Coca-Cola will deliver them to you on-site at the Gallivan Center. Contact us at festival[at]craftlakecity.com for pricing and to coordinate purchase. Again, all soda, water and other beverages must be ordered in advance through Craft Lake City’s Coca-Cola representative.
Load-In and Set Up
- We will provide you with your assigned load-in time and zone a week or so prior to the Festival. Please arrive at your assigned zone at your scheduled load-in time. While we do our best to adhere to the predetermined schedule, event staff cannot guarantee that vendors will be able to get equipment on or off the plaza at or by a certain time during load-out. Please abide by load-out rules, follow your zone manager’s instructions & wait your turn as necessary.
- When you arrive at your assigned load-in zone, you will park temporarily and unload your vehicle on to the curbside area, then move and park your car to make space for the next vendors arriving for load-in. After you have parked your car, your zone manager will help you locate your assigned spot. Volunteers will then help you transport your inventory and gear to your location. Please bring staff of your own to aid in this process. Festival food trucks will receive special information about load-in and load-out procedures.
- No vehicles are allowed on the Gallivan Center plaza other than pre-approved food trucks. Be prepared to walk across the plaza to reach your designated space. We strongly recommend bringing staff and a hand truck/dolly to make load-in easier.
- Vendors must use their assigned spot and shall not overflow into adjoining areas. Hanging items from trees is not allowed.
- For safety reasons, vendors bringing their own tents must supply 50 lb weights for each leg of their booth. Vendors bringing umbrellas must weight them using 50 lb weights. No Exceptions.
- All equipment, extension cords, power strips, lighting, hand trucks, etc. are the vendor’s responsibility. We recommend ALL vendors bring a battery-powered light source for their space for the late evening hours.
- Vendors must be in their spaces 1.5 hours before showtime each day of the festival.
During the Festival
- Ensure your area looks clean and tidy throughout the Festival.
- Ensure that you have a back-up plan in case you run low on food. For health and safety reasons it is important that you remain fully stocked and operational for the duration of festival hours. Craft Lake City expects your business to be open and serving food for all public hours of the Festival. Make a plan to have someone who can assist by picking up more food, supplies, etc.
- If you need ice, have a plan to replenish it throughout the Festival. A limited amount will be available for purchase on-site.
- Have a plan to pick up additional small change if you need it. Craft Lake City will not be able to supply you with change.
- Vendors may not close early—please plan to remain open until 10 p.m. on Friday, 10 p.m. on Saturday and 7 p.m. on Sunday.
- Staying in your booth overnight is not allowed.
Waste Management and Sustainability
- Craft Lake City strives to support a zero-waste environment. Beginning in 2018, single-use plastic bags will be prohibited at the DIY Festival.
- Vendors must avoid providing plastic bags to customers along with purchased items. Recyclable paper bags or biodegradable/compostable bags made from non-GMO plant-based materials serve as good alternatives. Vendors may consider selling reusable (non-plastic) bags at their booth or offering incentives to customers who bring their own bags or containers.
- Vendors are encouraged to limit the use of plastic and styrofoam in packaging whenever possible.
- We recommend that food vendors provide reusable or recyclable service ware.
- Vendors are responsible for removing trash generated at their booths or trucks on a daily basis. The festival bins are for patrons only. Bring your own bins and/or trash bags for trash removal, and empty them regularly. You are responsible for ensuring your area is clean and trash/food waste does not build up, cardboard boxes are broken down and removed to be recycled, etc. You are responsible for packing out your recyclables and trash each day.
- Double bag food waste so it doesn’t leak on the plaza.
- All vendors must properly dispose of all liquids: grease, oil, water, etc. Do not dump any liquids in planters or down Plaza surface drains. Grease and oils must be removed from the Plaza by the vendor. Waste water or grey water may be disposed of in the main building’s restroom.
- Electrical access at the Gallivan Center is limited. Craft Lake City plans carefully so that all exhibitors’ electrical needs can be accommodated. Food vendors are responsible for notifying Craft Lake City of any special power requirements before the Festival and receiving approval for accessing power on-site. Vendors found to be accessing power without receiving prior approval may jeopardize their participation in future events.
Craft Lake City provides meal vouchers to staff, volunteers and for individuals participating in our Sponsored Families Program. Craft Lake City $5 and $10 food vouchers may be used to purchase food from Festival Food vendors. Craft Lake City will reimburse you for any vouchers you collect during the Festival. We will collect vouchers from you each night after gates close. The week after the Festival, we will reimburse you via Paypal. If you wish to be reimbursed using a different method, please let us know.
- For final load out on Sunday, we recommend transporting your things to your car where it is parked rather than attempting to drive your car up to the Plaza.
- Vendors may not leave the Festival early (unless given a specific exemption by Craft Lake City staff prior to the Festival). Load out begins after the festival ends at 7 p.m. on Sunday.
- Vendors must load out by no later than 9 p.m. on Sunday, leaving their spaces empty and free of trash and debris.