We’re starting off the new year with a new recipe for Sauerkraut and Chicken Lettuce Wraps from Chef Cantu of Twin Suns Cafe. This tasty recipe is a healthy one and a great way to kick off the new year. Plus if you attended our sauerkraut making workshop recently, here is a good way to put that sauerkraut to use! Chef Cantu has put together a masterful way to use sauerkraut and other fresh ingredients.
Chef Cantu is a caterer turned cafe owner. He’s been in the food business for over 25 years. After studying culinary arts in school, Cantu says that he worked all over the industry. Cantu has also brought his culinary creations to Craft Lake City’s Annual DIY Festival as a longtime and favorite food vendor, starting from the 3rd Annual DIY Festival. Participating in the DIY Festival has given Cantu the opportunity to expose his business, make connections, and help it progress. Today at his new cafe—Twin Suns—Cantu uses wholesome food to make new creations every day. For any Star Wars fans out there, you may recognize the subtle reference to the famous franchise in the name ‘Twin Suns.’ You can also find some Star Wars easter eggs in the menu such as a Darth Mousse (dark chocolate mousse) and an Obi Kebobis (chicken kabobs with peanut sauce.)
Inspired not just by Star Wars but also by flavorful and fresh ingredients, Cantu says that “I think food chose me years ago. I love the aspect of being able to work a large variety of ingredients, flavors from around the world, into simple fresh comfort foods.” His goals are to feed these flavors and clean, fresh food to as many people as possible. There are a variety of options on the menu from burgers to tacos to kabobs, all made fresh. Cantu says that serving people and receiving smiles and appreciation from a satisfied consumer is his favorite part of the work.
Cantu’s goals don’t stop at bringing good food to the community, but also in bringing a little food security. Twin Suns Cafe has “pay-what-you-can” options available to any in need. You can learn more about this option at the Twin Suns Cafe. Cantu comments, “Many people fail to see all of the ties between what they eat, how they feel, their health, and their place/impact in the greater world around them.” By helping people to eat well, Cantu hopes to improve their lives and thereby the community around them. Chef Cantu is proving that you really can make the world a better place with some good food.
Sauerkraut Chicken Lettuce Wraps from Chef Cantu
2 T. butter
One white onion, julienned
1/2 pound roasted chicken, chopped fine
1/4 c. sauerkraut minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
Dash of fresh parsley, minced
Celery seed, thyme, S&P
Extra virgin olive oil
1/2 c. plain yogurt
4 pieces of bacon, cooked and minced
1 T. apple cider vinegar
3 heads of romaine hearts, washed & dried
1. Start by caramelizing the onions in the butter over medium-low heat, stir occasionally, season with salt and pepper. They are done once they have all browned nicely and their natural sweetness shines through. If you have a little wine, deglaze the pan with a good splash and cook until dry.
2. Once the onions have cooked, minced them up.
3. Toss the chopped chicken with the onions, sauerkraut, parsley, garlic, moisten with a little extra virgin olive oil and season with a little salt and pepper.
4. For the dressing mix together the yogurt, apple cider vinegar, a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, the bacon and season with the thyme, celery seed and salt and pepper.
5. If you are ready to destroy what you have just created, take a romaine leaf, top with a big spoonful of the chicken salad, a drizzle of the bacon dressing, a couple little sprigs of dill and enjoy.
Share your recipe on social media with the tag #craftlakerecipe for a chance to be featured on our social media!